Existing Maps with rented maps

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

Existing Maps with rented maps

Postby my911911 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:04 pm

I am considering a monthly subscription. I have some 47 maps downloaded from the time when we could buy maps. If I take out a monthly map/data subscription, What happens to the existing maps...For example,
Will the old maps that I own never be updatable?
Can I download the current maps when I own a old version?

The maps I download when I have a monthly subscription, do they disappear when the log in session is over, so that I must be logged in each time to see the maps? Some times, my download is very dodgy and I am unable to connect to sites due to bandwidth issues for my carrier company.

Geoff
my911911

Member Ranking: Basic

Re: Existing Maps with rented maps

Postby stephen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:26 pm

Geoff,

The old charts you purchased individually can be updated to the new versions. These new version will however require an active subscription to be viewed. The subscription is checked on startup, but you can start the apps a few times even without an Internet connection. The iOS and Android apps can start for up to 24 hours even without Internet connection, so occasional network outages shouldn't be a problem.

If you cancel your subscription, you will not be able to view the updated charts. However, you will be able to restore back to the old individually purchased charts using the File -> Restore Data... option.

Regards,

Stephen
stephen

Administrator

Postby my911911 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Thank you Stephen for your reply. So, confirming:
* There is no facility to update my purchased maps, so that I can always see them off line, as at present.
* When I subscribe, any maps that I own, will be checked at subscription log on, and if updates are available, will be available for "temporary" update.
* During a non subscription period, the only way I can get access to my now purchased maps will be via file/restore data etc, however, the updated versions of the maps will be removed, leaving me with the previous versions.
* The PC version will always check subscriptions on startup, so if no network, no map service, other than owned versions
* If I use the iOS/Android apps, then any map downloads in it will be usable for up to 24 hours without net connection.

Regards

Geoff
my911911

Postby stephen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Geoff,

That seems correct.

Regards,

Stephen
stephen

Administrator

Postby my911911 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 pm

I have just updated the Navigraph charts desktop as per the latest update. As I am currently outside of the subscription, how do I view my original purchased maps? The new version does not seem to have, or at least I could not find it, a File -> Restore Data... option.

Geoff
my911911

Postby stephen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:57 am

Geoff,

The new desktop version only works with subscriptions, and only with the new Jeppesen charts. The old system of individual purchases is discontinued since many years, but if you have the old version you can use it for a little while longer. I hope to see you as a subscriber soon.

Regards,

Stephen
stephen

Administrator

Postby my911911 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 am

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I remember the removal of paid maps in favour of subscriptions. And, yes, I still have an old version of Navigraph Charts, which I used a few days ago to view the maps.
So, when you eventually stop access to the originally paid for maps, will we be be allowed to download our maps in a pdf or what ever format.

As it is now, I plan to take out a monthly subscription every 3 or 4 months or as required.

Regards
Geoff
my911911

Return to Pre-purchase Questions