I Need To Understand Some Things

This forum answers all questions about products before you decide to become a subscriber.

Moderator: Ian

I Need To Understand Some Things

Postby danewatson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:09 am

I have been thinking of purchasing Navigraph Charts but I am a bit confused about a few things so I will simply list them out in a summarized point form:

1. Do you need Charts as well as FMS Data, what's the difference?

2. Is the purchase/subscription actual files that I download and install or is it all based on a cloud access?

3. If at some point I cancel or let my subscription lapse do I still keep the charts or FMS data files (realizing that they won't get updated)?

4. I am using AivlaSoft EFB, will I be able to link the charts or FMS data to my EFB? Also what happens if I no longer keep my subscription?

5. I use the Flight1 GTN750 GPS which comes with AIRAC 1611 - will I be able to update the GTN database with the latest AIRAC from Navigraph

That's all for now, hope you can help me clear up my confusion.
Regards,
Dane
danewatson

Member Ranking: Basic

Re: I Need To Understand Some Things

Postby stephen » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

Dane,

1. Do you need Charts as well as FMS Data, what's the difference?

FMS Data is the raw data you feed into your aircraft Flight Management System (FMS) computer or flight planning tools you are using. Charts are visual representations of the data. The charts we provide are from Jeppesen, and these charts are used professionally by airline pilots worldwide.

Read more about FMS Data at https://www.navigraph.com/FmsData.aspx and Charts at https://www.navigraph.com/Charts.aspx.

2. Is the purchase/subscription actual files that I download and install or is it all based on a cloud access?

It depends. FMS Data is usually downloadable files which you install on your computer. They can be used offline. Charts are in the cloud, but apps such as the Desktop, iPad and Android app store files locally for quick access. For charts, Internet connection is required at all times.

3. If at some point I cancel or let my subscription lapse do I still keep the charts or FMS data files (realizing that they won't get updated)?

You will keep the locally downloaded FMS Data files, but they can't be updated anymore. You will lose access to Charts, also the ones in your local cache.

4. I am using AivlaSoft EFB, will I be able to link the charts or FMS data to my EFB? Also what happens if I no longer keep my subscription?

You can download FMS Data for the Aivlasoft EFB. That software draws its own basic charts from the FMS Data. Our professional Jeppesen charts can't be linked or imported to Aivlasoft EFB.

5. I use the Flight1 GTN750 GPS which comes with AIRAC 1611 - will I be able to update the GTN database with the latest AIRAC from Navigraph

Unfortunately not. The GTN uses the same data format as their real world product, and as such it is proprietary to Garmin and isn't possible to update. We have tried to reach out to Garmin in the past but so far nothing has materialized.

Regards,

Stephen
stephen

Administrator

Re: I Need To Understand Some Things

Postby danewatson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for your very clear answers
Regards,
Dane
danewatson

Member Ranking: Basic

Return to Pre-purchase Questions